I have bought one of Eds kits from GamePieAdvance.com website. As you can see from the picture this board looks great and has everything built in. The best thing about this kit is that you receive all the parts needed for this builds minus the shell. I bought the shell a while ago for a raspberry pi zero build, so I already had it to hand.
The first thing I wanted to do is to power this thing up so I soldered the GPIO header to my Zero and connected it to the GPA board. Beware when connecting these boards together they will be very stiff. I connected the LCD and powered up the pi with my USB power bank. It boots up and seem to work fine.
We are going to firstly start with modifying the rear shell. You need to remove a the metal shielding from the shell near the cartridge hole. After you have done that you are going to want to remove the screw mounts and side frame which are next to the cartridge holder. To do this you will need to use your knife to score the edging of the plastic like seen in the picture. Then using a pair of plyer’s twist and rock backward and forwards until it snaps off.
Do this on both sides. Then, use a dremel to tidy up the plastics. You are also going to want to remove the two square blocks at the bottom of the cartridge holder as seen in picture 2 as the bottom of the GPIO pins touch them and then the board won’t fit in place. (I worked this out after doing the next step and I may have removed to much of the shell).
Before you will be able to get the board to fit inside the back case you need to open up the headphone and volume wheel, holes to make these fit and remove part of the screw mount so the volume wheel can spin without hitting it. I have also found when I was building my GBZ that not all aftermarket shells are the same and things can be slightly off. So you might not need to take so much off. You will need to keep checking the board and the front go together ok. When it does fit together ok and the volume wheel spins fine it time to modify the front shell.
To make the screen fit inside the front shell, you will need cut off a couple of tabs off the screen which are located near the cable. (sorry didnt have a picture). You will need to remove both corners from the bottom of the surround (As you can see in picture 4 and 6). Next you will need to remove the whole left side of the surround as pictured in picture 2. Like seen in picture 5 some of the speaker surround will need removing as well as some of the top left plastic. After doing this and you find that the screen fits in nicely then you will need to use the dremel to remove the raised sections by the screen hole. This is so the lcd can sit flat to the shell.
There is a small bump in the button which will need to be removed to make it work with the new switch. You can do this by just cutting it out with a set of wire cutters (as seen pictured). You also need to remove some of the old plastic around the L&R buttons(As Pictured). You will want to try and put the shell together and make sure everything fit together properly.
You will need to trim the A&B button rubber so it doesnt get stuck on the LCD.
I now put all the buttons in the shell with the rubbers. The with the speaker in the front shell first the lcd then goes on top and screwed the board into place. Im currently messing around with the RetroPie while having the unit powered off the Raspberry Pi Zero charging port. So far the unit works very well. I had to install some custom emulators which weren’t included within Retropie OS. The GPA loads alot faster than my GBZ does. Not sure why either.
The build is almost finished, I still have to mess around with the software and get everything working correctly.